Are Age and OA Stage a Valid Parameter?
The short answer: No.
So who qualifies for an unloading knee brace?
Patients with varus or valgus knee OA with clinically relevant knee
pain affecting activities of daily living. Also, patients indicated for
total knee replacement (TKR) who do not yet want a TKR -- or TKR
It is especially important to use an unloading knee brace on
patients who meet the above criteria and are receiving an
injection-- whether it be viscosupplementation or a regenerative
Age and OA stage are not valid parameter to select the right
patients for an unloader brace. Patients of many different ages
and OA stages have the potential to benefit greatly from this type
To consider an unloader brace medically necessary for a patient,
one of the following criteria would need to apply and be
1. Knee Instability, with an objective description of Joint Laxity
3. Knee Pain
4. After Knee Surgery
The reason for Medical Necessity should then be justified with at
least one of the following, and also documented in the notes:
- X-Ray Showing Osteoarthritis
- Ligament Instability as per Exam Findings
- Positive Knee Compression Test
- Positive Distraction Test
- Varus/Valgus Mal-alignment
- Patellofemoral ROM/+/- Apprehension Test
- Positive Adduction Varus Stress Test
- Positive Lachman’s Test
- Positive McMurray's Test
- Positive abduction valgus stress test
- Laxity/Tissue instability, ant/post drawer
A patient should begin to feel relief within a 48 hour period if the
brace has been adjusted and fit correctly.
For assistance with your DME program or to place an order, contact us at Azon Medical:
You Might Also Enjoy...
Azon Medical Corporate Office, Clearwater, FL
Phone (appointments & general inquiries): 888-865-8553
Address: 900 Drew St., Suite 3, Clearwater, FL 33755